As we live through these challenging times, the Western Québec administration has provided resources, protocols and tools for its staff, students and their families. This wealth of information can be found further down this page, below this latest letter from our senior leadership team. Jump ahead ▼
Latest letter to parents: Further Developments in COVID-19 Sanitary Measures
8 June 2021
Dear Parents, Guardians, Students and Staff,
Today the Premier of Quebec held a press conference to announce further developments in the province’s COVID-19 sanitary measures.
COVID-19 Alert Level
- Outaouais will be moving from Orange alert level to Yellow effective Monday, June 14.
- Abitibi-Témiscamingue region remains in the Green alert level.
- For more information of COVID-19 alert levels please consult this page on the Government’ website
Masks for students – effective June 8
- Kindergarten are not required to wear masks at any time.
- Grades 1-4 students not required to wear masks at any time.
- Grades 5-6 and secondary school students are not required to wear masks in class nor outside. They are required to wear masks inside the school in common areas and on the school bus.
- Adult and vocational sector students are not required to wear masks once seated in a classroom. They must maintain 1.5-meter distance while in class. Masks in common areas are required but not outside.
Masks for Staff – effective June 14
- Staff are not required to wear a mask as long as they maintain 2-meter physical distance from other students and staff.
*For all masks directives, it needs to be stressed that if a student or staff wishes to wear a mask in class, outside or at any time while at school or in a centre they are permitted to do so.
Premier Legault also made several announcements concerning a change to sanitary measures regarding the organization of graduation ceremonies and proms. Although some modifications may be made to some ceremonies already planned, due to logistical issues and tight time lines, it may not be possible to redesign school graduation plans. Each school will communicate their graduation ceremony plans to their communities.
The following is a synopsis of Premier Legault’ s announcements concerning graduation ceremonies:
Graduations – Handing out of Diplomas Ceremony
- The handing out of diplomas can happen during the school day, after school or on a weekend.
- Parents can now attend the graduation ceremony.
- A maximum of 250 people may attend the ceremony with more information to come on sanitary measures (i.e. masks and physical distancing rules).
- From July 8 onwards, graduation proms will be permitted in an outside venue with a maximum 250 people, more information to come on sanitary measures (i.e. masks and physical distancing rules).
Mike Dubeau, Director General
- COVID-19 Symptoms and Instructions for Parents of Students – for all our schools and centres
- COVID-19 Back to School Plan – from Quebec’s Ministry of Education
- Public Health Q & A – from the Outaouais Public Health (CISSSO)
A few important updates for the year 2020-2021
- Fall 2020 Return to School Information & Policies
- Assessment & Evaluation of Students
- Information Regarding Students Medical Exemptions
Anyone requiring information regarding their own health is asked to call 1-877- 644-4545 or visit québec.ca/coronavirus.
More information regarding the COVID-19 vaccination efforts on our territory is made available by our regional Public Health partners: CISSSO in the Outaouais, and CISSS-AT in Abitibi-Témiscamingue for our northern schools.
Below are all our boardwide letters to parents, from latest to earliest, related to the COVID-19 pandemic and the policies it led to. The information in some of these letters may no longer apply.
- 8 June 2021 Letter to Parents: Further Developments in COVID-19 Sanitary Measures
- 7 June 2021 Letter to Parents: Procedural Masks No Longer Required in Class
- 3 June 2021 Letter to Parents: Vaccination of Youth Aged 12+ and Clic-Santé Instructions
- 31 May 2021 Letter to Parents: Vaccination of Youth Aged 12+
- 26 May 2021 Letter to Parents: Revised Measures for Outaouais Schools and Centres
- 20 May 2021 Letter to Parents: Vaccination of Adolescents Aged 12-17 Years Old
- 11 May 2021 Letter to Parents: Revised Measures for Outaouais Schools & Centres
- 4 May 2021 Letter to Parents: Revised COVID-19 Sanitary Measures
- 27 April 2021 Letter to Parents: Emergency Measures Extended to May 7 in all Outaouais Schools and Centres
- 20 April 2021 Letter to Parents: Emergency Measures Extended to April 30 in all Outaouais Schools
- 13 April 2021 Letter to Parents & Students: Emergency red-zone measures extended further to include all of the Outaouais region
- 8 April 2021 Letter to Parents & Students – Emergency Measures Extended for School in Gatineau and MRC des Collines
- 8 April 2021 Notice – Closure of Maniwaki Woodland School April 9-18
- 7 April 2021 Letter to parents & students – Measures applicable April 12
- 31 March 2021 Letter to parents & students – Exceptional red-zone measures imposed in Gatineau and MRC des Collines
- 29 March 2021 Follow-up Letter – Health Canada Recommendation re: Procedural Masks
- 26 March 2021 Letter to Parents – Health Canada Recommendation
- 25 March 2021 Letter to Parents – Procedural Masks for Students in Grades 5 & 6
- 17 March 2021 Letter to Parents – Full-Time Attendance for Students in Secondary 3-5 >
- 11 February 2021 Letter to Parents – Assessment and Evaluation
- 7 January 2021 Letter to Parents – COVID-19 Confinement Measures
- 16 December 2020 Letter to Parents – Further measures specific to the holiday season
- 20 November 2020 Letter to Parents – COVID measures specific to the holiday season
- 17 November 2020 Letter to Parents – Allocation of 3 days for planning
- 27 October 2020 Letter to Parents – Further Red Zone Measures in Secondary Schools
- 14 October 2020 Letter to Parents/Guardians – Red Zone Designation
- 5 October 2020 Letter to the Community
- 28 September 2020 Letter to the Community
- Update 25 August 2020 – Letter to Parents regarding Homeschooling vs Distance Learning for Students with Medical Exemptions
- Update 18 August 2020 – Letter to Parents regarding Bus Transportation upon Return to School
- Update 17 August 2020 – Letter to Parents regarding Student Medical Exemptions
- Update 11 August 2020 – Letter to Parents regarding the Fall 2020 Return to School
- COVID-19 Update 19 May 2020 – Letter to Parents/Guardians
- COVID-19 Update 8 May 2020 – Re-Opening of Elementary Schools – Information Package for Parents
- COVID-19 Update 30 April 2020 – Return to Schools
- COVID-19 Update 28 April 2020 – Return to Schools & Centres
- Memorandum 24 April 2020 – Return to Schools/Centres Date
- Memorandum 21 April 2020 – Update to Students and Parents
- Memorandum 20 April 2020 – Update to Students and Parents
- Memorandum 9 April 2020 – Update to Students and Parents
- Memorandum 30 March 2020 – Update for Students and Parents
- Memorandum 24 March 2020 – Learning Activities and Resources
- Memorandum 23 March 2020 – K4 Registration Postponement
- Memorandum 22 March 2020 – Extended School Closures
- Memorandum 18 March 2020 – Board Office Access
- Memorandum 16 March 2020 – Ministry Directives
- Memorandum 9 March 2020 – COVID-19
Questions should be addressed to WQquestions@wqsb.qc.ca