Dear WQSB students and parents,
As you are aware the COVID-19 pandemic has required unprecedented actions by our government including the closing of schools and centres. Our school board will continue to follow directives issued to us by the Ministry of Education; please see the list of updates below.
- March 13, 2020: Premier Legault mandated the closure of schools and centres for a two-week period, ending on March 27th
- March 21, 2020: Premier Legault extended the school and centre closure period until May 1, 2020
- Other directives include:
- All Ministry of Education year-end exams are cancelled; it is important to note that the school year is not compromised, as the Ministry will be sending further directives and clarification regarding year-end evaluation of students for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Beginning today, March 30, 2020, the Ministry of Education is providing a series of optional educational activities for students and parents via an on-line platform. You can access the Open School website at ecoleouverte.ca/en/
- Beginning April 6, 2020, the Ministry of Education will provide school boards and schools with optional weekly activities targeted to each grade level. You will receive updates on how to access these optional activities as they are provided to us by the Ministry.
- The WQSB senior administration team is working collaboratively with the in-school administrators to develop a pedagogical communications plan; please expect to receive updated information within a week.
- As per Ministry of Education directives, schools and centres remain closed to the public.
- Finally, we have received a letter (available in English & French) from our Minister of Education, Mr. Jean-François Roberge, which was issued earlier today.
Please do not hesitate to forward your questions to WQQuestions@wqsb.qc.ca.
George Singfield, Secretary General and Director of Corporate Services, Western Québec School Board
Anyone requiring information regarding their own health are now asked to call 1-877- 644-4545 or visit québec.ca/coronavirus.
Learning Resources for Students and Parents: Western Québec School Board launched a website, named Backpack: Learning From Home, specifically geared to providing learning resources and activities for students and parents alike. [Announced Tuesday March 24]
Extended school closures: Premier François Legault announced that schools will remain closed until May 1st. Minister of Education Jean-François Roberge announced that all Quebec Ministry May-June Exams have been cancelled. All school board-based exams have been cancelled as well. [Announced Sunday March 22]
Postponement of K-4 Registration: Western Quebec is postponing the K-4 registrations scheduled for April 8 for Eardley, Lord Aylmer, and Wakefield Elementary Schools. A new registration date will be provided once established. [Announced Monday March 23]
All COVID-19 Memoranda
From latest to earliest:
- Memorandum 30 March 2020 – Update for Students and Parents
- Memorandum 24 March 2020 – Learning Activities and Resources
- Memorandum 23 March 2020 – K4 Registration Postponement
- Memorandum 22 March 2020 – Extended School Closures
- Memorandum 18 March 2020 – Board Office Access
- Memorandum 16 March 2020 – Ministry Directives
- Memorandum 9 March 2020 – COVID-19
All questions should be addressed to WQquestions@wqsb.qc.ca