In light of the current COVID-19 pandemic, the Western Quebec School Board (hereinafter referred to as WQSB) has revised the K-4 registration process for the following schools: Eardley Elementary, Lord Aylmer, and Wakefield Elementary. Given that social and physical distancing regulations make it impossible to run the registration as originally planned, the WQSB will facilitate the K-4 registration for the three above-mentioned schools through a lottery system (details provided below).
- Directives and regulations for WQSB K-4 programming come directly from the Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur (hereinafter referred to as MEES)
- Each of the three above-listed schools has been allocated one K-4 class for the 2020-2021 school year
- The maximum class size for a K-4 (as dictated by MEES standards) is 17 students; under no circumstance may the WQSB allow for more than 17 students in a K-4 class
- The demand for student spaces in our K-4 programmes continues to be high. The lottery system has been established to ensure fair and equitable access for all parents wishing to register a child in a K-4 programme at one of the three above-listed schools for the 2020-2021 school year
- Student must reside within the school catchment area as defined by the WQSB (please refer to school catchment zones using the school locator)
- Student must be 4 years old prior to October 1, 2020
- Student must be eligible for education in Quebec under Bill 101 (please refer to Bill 101)
- Child’s original long-form birth certificate bearing parents’ names
- Canadian citizenship of parent (who attended English school in Canada)
- Proof of residency in Quebec (one of: valid driver’s license of parent/adult responsible, or lease/deed and utility bill)
- Parent must contact firstname.lastname@example.org to have eligibility confirmed by the school organization department at the WQSB. Upon confirmation of eligibility, the parent will be provided a K-4 application package (via email). Parents must return the completed package to email@example.com before 4:00 pm on Friday, May 8, 2020 in order to be considered for the lottery. Upon receipt of the completed package, the parent will receive a confirmation email along with a number for the K-4 lottery for their respective school.
- All lottery draws for the 2020-2021 school year will take place at the WQSB office building on May 19, 2020
- A separate lottery draw will be held for each of the three respective schools
- Lottery draws will be supervised by more than one person, including the school principal, school governing board chair or designate, superintendent of the WQSB school organization department, and the WQSB director of corporate services. All registrations will be assigned a number and an accurate record of the lottery will be created and maintained.
- Please note that 25 names will be drawn for each of the three listed schools, allowing for a K-4 waiting list of 8 students per school
- All parents registered for their respective school lottery will be notified by email as to whether or not their child was selected; the notifications will be emailed no later than May 21, 2020
You are kindly asked to forward any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Secretary General & Director of Corporate Services