Parent/Guardian Procedure for Homeschooling
1. By July 1 of each school year, send written notice of intent for homeschooling to the Ministry of Education (MEES) and to our board’s Education Department.
2. Send your child’s learning project to the Ministry of Education.
3. In order to benefit from the support services offered by our school board, parents must take the following steps:
Complete the admission process with the School Organization Department at our board office (15 Katimavik, Gatineau, QC J9J 0E9).
Ensure that you child lives on the territory covered by our board and apply for a permanent code. This is a requirement from MEES for homeschooling.
You must provide us with the following documents for the admission process:
- Your child’s official birth certificate (long form) bearing the names of both parents;
- A proof of residency on our board’s territory (utility bill, municipal tax statement);
- Your child’s certificate of eligibility to English education.
If your child does not have a certificate of eligibility yet, refer to Eligibility to English Education page or contact our School Organization department for information. An application will be submitted on your behalf to the MEES if eligibility requirements are met.
4. For support services offered by our board, parents must submit the following to our Education department:
- The reception notice declaring receipt of your learning project by the Ministry of Education (MEES);
- A copy of your child’s learning project submitted to the Ministry;
- Should you intend to use a school service that requires an adult on school property: a recent copy of a criminal record check (within 2 years).
Possible services available include:
- Resources & Instructional Materials – request appendix 1
- Access to Complementary Services – request appendix 2
- Textbook Loan – request appendix 6
Note – If a child stops attending an educational institution during the course of the school year, written notice must be sent within 10 days of the date on which school attendance ceases. The MEES’ secure online form may be used by parents to send written notice.
|Stewart Aitken, Director of Education
|Chantel Hutter, Administration Technician
819-684-1313 ext. 1113 / 1-800-363-9111 ext. 1113
Western Québec School Board