The Western Québec School Board is proud to provide English language instruction as well as French Immersion programs.
- Verify that the child is eligible to English education in Québec;
- Use our School Locator tool to determine the child’s boundary school. To apply for a transfer to another WQ school, jump to Cross-Boundary Requests;
- Obtain a copy of all necessary documents:
- Certificate of Eligibility of the child, parent or sibling declared eligible (if available);
- Child’s original long-form birth certificate bearing parents’ names;
- Canadian Citizenship of the parent who will render the child eligible;
- Québec driver’s licence of the parent/guardian responsible for the child or Lease/House Deed and a utility bill;
- Child’s last report card (if applicable).
- Come back on this webpage later, as it will be updated with correct registration dates and times for every school.
- In the meantime, parents can contact WQ Admissions or your boundary school for any and all other questions.
Good to know
- To register for kindergarten (K5) for school year 2019-2020, a child must be 5 years of age by September 30, 2019.
- To register for Pre-Kindergarten (K4) for the same school year, a child must be 4 years of age by September 30, 2019. In the list below, schools which offer a K4 program are identified.
For information on registration of international students to an Elementary or Secondary school, contact the Admissions Department directly.
Parents who have all required documents and are ready to register their child for school can do so during registration time slots. Registrations usually take place directly at the boundary school somewhere in the second half of January of the year the child is eligible to attend K4 or K5. For the child to begin for school year 2019-2020 for example, registrations will take place in January 2019. Some schools work by appointment only. All information will be available in time on this very page.
|SCHOOLS||K4||DATES & TIMES|
|Buckingham Elementary||✓||Starting Jan 28, by appointment only. Contact Cindy Larin at 819-986-3191 #0.|
|Chelsea Elementary||Jan 28-29, from 9 to 11:30 & 12:30 to 6:00. After that, contact Louise Larose 819-827-0245.|
|D’Arcy McGee High School||Starting Feb 14, by appointment only. Contact Anne Spear at 819-684-7472 #2118. Open house on Feb 20 6:30 to 8:30 PM.|
|Dr. S.E. McDowell Elementary||✓||Jan 22-24, from 9 to 11:00 & 12:30 to 2:30, by appointment only. After that, contact Michelle Forgues at 819-647-3800.|
|Dr. Wilbert Keon School||✓||Starting Feb 25, by appointment only. Call 819 689-2488.|
|Eardley Elementary||Feb 4-5, from 8:30 to 12 & 1 to 6:30. Registrations held at the school board office on the plateau. Ongoing by appointment after Feb 5 by calling Sabrina Crawford at 819-684-1313 ext. 1155.|
|G. Théberge School||✓||Starting Feb 4, from 9:30 to 12:30 & 1:30 to 3, at the school.|
|Golden Valley School||✓||Jan 28 until Feb 8, by appointment only. Contact Nancy Paradis at 819-825-3211.|
|Greater Gatineau Elementary||Feb 4-5, from 8:30 to 12 & 1 to 6:30. Registrations held at the school board office on the plateau. Ongoing by appointment after Feb 5 directly at the school: contact Debbie Stafford-Turcotte at 819-663-4842.|
|Hadley Junior High School||Starting Feb 4, from 9 to 2, by appointment only. Contact Dianne Miljour at 819-776-3158 #2303 or email@example.com.|
|Lord Aylmer Elementary||Feb 4-5, from 8:30 to 12 & 1 to 6:30. Registrations held at the school board office on the plateau. Ongoing by appointment after Feb 5 by calling Sabrina Crawford at 819-684-1313 ext. 1155.|
|Maniwaki Woodland School||✓||Starting Jan 28-Feb 1 from 9 to 12 & 1:30 to 3, at the school.|
|Namur Intermediate||✓||Starting Jan 14, from 8:30 to 12, at the school.|
|Noranda School||Starting Jan 28, by appointment only.|
|Onslow Elementary||✓||Starting Jan 14, by appointment only.|
|Philemon Wright High School||Starting Feb 4, from 9 to 2, by appointment only. Contact Dianne Miljour at 819-776-3158 #2303 or firstname.lastname@example.org.|
|Pierre Elliot Trudeau Elementary||Feb 4-5, from 8:30 to 12 & 1 to 6:30. Registrations held at the school board office on the plateau. Ongoing by appointment after Feb 5 by calling Sabrina Crawford at 819-684-1313 ext. 1155.|
|Poltimore Elementary||Starting Feb 4, 9 to 11:30, by appointment only.|
|Pontiac High School||Starting Jan 28, by appointment only. Contact Nancy Bullis at 819-647-2244 #1003. Open house on May 2 at 6:30 PM.|
|Queen Elizabeth Elementary||✓||Starting Jan 14, Mondays to Thursdays, 9 to 2, at the school.|
|St. John’s Elementary||✓||Starting Jan 28, 8:30 to 3, by appointment only.|
|St. Michael’s High School||Starting Jan 28, by appointment only. Contact the school. Open house on March 18 at 6:30 PM.|
|South Hull Elementary|
|Symmes Junior High School||Starting Feb 14, by appointment only. Contact Anne Spear at 819-684-7472 #2118. Open house on Feb 20 6:30 to 8:30 PM.|
|Wakefield Elementary||✓||Jan 28-Feb 1, 8 to 4, by appointment only.|
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is my child eligible to attend? See Eligibility to English Education.
- What if my child has special needs? See Special Needs.
- What if my child has allergies? Read policies C-26 & C-31.
- Can my child take the bus? Read Policy G-1.
- What about daycare? Is it available both before & after school? What are the costs? See Daycare.
- How can I prepare my child for kindergarten? See Kindergarten.
- Any chance I could volunteer at the school? Parents are strongly encouraged and welcome to volunteer in our schools, so long as they do not have a criminal record. See Security Background Check.
- In Quebec, students must be 5 years old on or before September 30, 2019 in order to attend kindergarten in the fall of 2019
- Under certain conditions, specified by the ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur, students may begin kindergarten or Cycle 1.1 early, through a process called “Derogation”. These conditions are contained in the Education Act:
- – Students identified as “advanced” by the MEES (students with advanced intellectual, social, emotional and psychomotor skills as deemed by a psychologist) may be granted Early Admission Derogation
- – Students identified as “handicapped” by the MEES (as outlined in the Organization of Educational Services for At-Risk Students and Students with Handicaps, Social Maladjustments or Learning Difficulties) may be granted Special Education Derogation.
Early Admission Derogation Process
- First, parents should ensure their child has a certificate of eligibility to English education.
- An Information Evening will be held for parents on 28 January 2019 at 7PM at Western Québec’s offices (15 rue Katimavik in Gatineau). Parents wishing to register for this session should contact Wendy Routliffe (819-684-2336 #1163 / email@example.com). We strongly advise any interested parents to attend. Please note: this is an information session for parents only; your child does not need to attend.
- When registering their child at a boundary school, parents should advise that they are seeking early entry to kindergarten. Residents of the Aylmer sector of Gatineau can instead contact Sabrina Crawford directly (819 684-1313 #1155 / firstname.lastname@example.org). Parents will be asked to complete and sign the Parent Letter of Request for Early Admission to School (Derogation).
- An assessment completed by a psychologist is required to confirm advanced skills. When choosing the psychologist to assess their child, parents should ensure that the professional:
- Is a child psychologist;
- Is registered in the province of Québec;
- Tests for derogations for Early Entry into Kindergarten, and;
- Can and will assess the child in English.
- The completed application form along with a copy of the psychological report should be submitted to either the school in your catchment, or directly to the Western Québec School Board (c/o Wendy Routliffe). The deadline for this step is 17 May 2019.
- All Early Admission requests are reviewed by a Committee. Final decisions will be sent to parents during the week of 27 May 2019. Questions should be addressed to Lisa Falasconi (email@example.com / 819-684-1313 ext. 1107).
Special Education Derogation Process (Information for Parents) – If you feel your child may meet criteria for a Special Education Derogation, please contact Lisa Falasconi (firstname.lastname@example.org / 819-684-1313 ext. 1107).
Parents are asked to register their child in their boundary school. Cross-Boundary Requests allow parents to request to send their child to another school located outside of the boundaries of a given school (in other words, the territory served by a school). This transfer request is made to the Department of School Organization, which will review it individually before submitting a recommendation to the General Directorate.
- Review the Cross Boundary Policy;
- Fill out the application form and return to the School Organization Department by fax at 819 684-9061 or email at email@example.com;
- Parent or guardian will be required to complete a Temporary Authorization Request form if the family moves onto the territory of a different school during the school year, in order to allow the child to remain in the same school for the remainder of the school year.
Want to discuss your situation with us? For further information on admissions and eligibility, contact Western Québec’s Admission Team.
- Sabrina Crawford, Admissions
- 819 684-1313 #1155
- 1 800 363-9111 #1155