The Western Québec School Board prides itself in providing excellent educational services. To do so, a group of people work diligently in different departments to ensure that the Board runs smoothly.
The Board has eight main departments that oversee all aspects of the board’s mandate, including facets such as curriculum, buildings, school maintenance, staffing and transportation. Each employee makes a vital contribution to the high quality bilingual education offered in our schools.
Jump to a specific department:
- General Directorate
- Buildings & Equipment
- Complementary Services
- Human Resources
- Transportation & School Organization
The Western Québec School Board’s General Directorate consists of the Director General, the Assistant Director General and the Secretary General. This group oversees all of the Board activities, ranging from budgeting, educational services, to managing the board’s relations with elected commissioners and Québec’s Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur.
- Mike Dubeau, Director General, Director of School Org & Transport (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ruth Ahern, Assistant Director General, Director of Adult Education & Vocational Training (email@example.com)
- Terry Kharyati, Secretary General, Director of Secondary Education, Director of HR (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Rachel Vincent, Administrative Support (email@example.com / 819 684-1313 ext. 1166)
- Richard Vézina, lawyer
- François Raymond, Communications Consultant, Webmaster & “Mobile-Appmaster” (firstname.lastname@example.org / 819 684-1313 ext. 1124)
Our Building Services Department supports the mission of the School Board in providing the best possible learning environment. This is accomplished by the effective and efficient management of available resources to provide healthy, safe, well maintained and operated facilities, and through the delivery of responsive maintenance, custodial, and construction services in harmony with the individual learning communities.
We are dedicated to providing:
- a high standard of cleanliness and operating efficiency;
- an effective preventive maintenance program;
- a high standard of repairs and maintenance;
- an effective engineering creative design and construction service;
- legislative compliance and high standards of energy, environmental, safety and security services;
- an efficient financial and administrative service to meet the requirements of the department;
- effective communications, good working relationships with our communities and continual and meaningful staff development.
Building rentals – In general, schools and their initiatives fall under the responsibility of the school principal and the governing board as created by their deed of establishment. The board recognizes the rights and responsibilities, of the governing board as outlined in the Act. In those matters related to the use of the premises or immovable placed at the disposal of the school are subject to Policy B-6 (see Policies and Official Documents).
- Pascal Proulx, Director of Buildings, Equipment & Technology (email@example.com)
- Michel Hotte, Coordinator of Buildings
- Luc Carrière, Project Manager
- Yves Manseau, Project Manager
- Tammy Gauthier, Administrative Support
- Judy Cadieux-Fortin, Administrative Support
The Western Québec School Board is committed to ensuring that all students achieve success. The Western Québec model of service delivery emphasizes inclusion. Students with special needs, as well as staff working with them, are supported by the Complimentary Services Department. The team has 5 consultants, 5 professionals and 3 technicians.
- Lisa Falasconi, Director of Complimentary Services (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Wendy Routliffe, Administrative Support (email@example.com / 819 684-1313 ext. 1163)
- Stephen Greig, Education Consultant
- Lynn Webster, Education Consultant
- Cindy Smith, Education Consultant
- Andrea Mailloux, Education Consultant
The Western Québec School Board creates and nurtures lifelong learners. It strives to offer the best possible education in a safe and supportive environment. As our mission statement indicates, “We are committed to academic excellence, quality education and social, emotional and moral development.” Every decision made at the board level permeates into our schools and we truly focus on the students and their individual learning abilities.
- Ruth Ahern, ADG and Director of Adult Education and Vocational Training (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Terry Kharyati, Secretary General, Director of Secondary Education and Director of HR (email@example.com)
- Stewart Aitken, Director of Elementary Education (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Chantel Hutter, Administrative Support – Elementary (email@example.com / 819 684-1313 ext. 1113)
- Chantal Champagne, Administrative Support – Secondary and Adult Learning (firstname.lastname@example.org / 819 684-1313 ext. 1112)
- Lyn Fitzsimmons, Administrative Support, Adult Learning – Academics (email@example.com / 819 684-1313 ext. 1101)
- Andrée Fortin, Education Consultant – Adult Education & Vocational Training
- Hélène Leboeuf, Education Consultant – Adult Education & Vocational Training
- Sunglee (Lee) Randall, Librarian
- Larissa Sansom, Education Consultant – English Language Arts
- Virginia Lavigne, Education Consultant – French Second Language
- Katelin Smith, Education Consultant – Teachers Induction Program
- Jeff Harvey, Education Consultant – Math
- Caroline Turcotte, Education Consultant – French Second Language
- Sarah Kobia, Education Consultant – English Language Arts
Staff deal with all financial matters pertaining to the Board, schools, centres, and daycares. It also oversees all matters dealing with school taxes.
The department distributes the allocated funds from the ministère and taxation in a fair and transparent manner based on the socio-economic ranking of the schools.
School Taxes – We prepared a page with the answers to your questions on School Taxes. Thank you for taking a look at it before contacting our tax team.
Financial Statements – By law, the school board shall appoint an external auditor to carry out the verification and reporting mandate issued by the MEES on the financial transactions of the school board. The results of these verifications are presented as Financial Statements.
Budget – The Québec government must include in its financial reporting the results of all Québec educational and health institutions. Therefore, all boards must report their finances according to the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
The recording of liabilities accumulated on staff vacation and sick day benefits, as well as the depreciation of school board buildings and other capital assets has created change to the financial reports following the accounting reform of June 2008 within the education sector. To date the school board has adopted balanced budgets within the regulation of the MEES, between the money received and the money spent, continuing to deliver quality education and services to our students and communities.
- Sandra Cox, Director of Finance (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Alexandre Marcoux-Huard, Coordinator of Finance (email@example.com / 819 684-1313 ext. 1132)
- Nathalie Dagenais, Manager of Finance (firstname.lastname@example.org / 819 684-1313 ext. 1144)
- Alain Gendron, Procurement Officer
- Kimberly Robertson, Administrative Technician
- Linda Cox, Office Agent – Tax Team
- Jacqueline Cayer, Office Agent – Tax Team
- Nicole Leclair, Admin Tech – Tax Team
- Amélie Gascon, Office Agent – Tax Team
- Francine Lafontaine, Administrative Support
- Cynthia Beaulne-Belair, Office Agent – Front Desk (email@example.com / 819 684-1313 ext. 1170)
- Lucie Dionne, Office Agent – Accounts Payable
- Ying He, Office Agent – Accounts Payable
The primary role of the Human Resources Department is to hire, promote and develop qualified and professional staff to ensure that students achieve their full potential. HR also offers direction and guidance to management personnel for issues involving staffing and labour relations. In addition, it provides all employees with services and advice related to career aspirations, compensation and benefits.
Western Québec employee? Take a look at the Resources for staff page.
- Terry Kharyati, Director of HR (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Philippe Bazinet, Coordinator of HR
- Suzan Hunter, Administrative Technician
- Matthew Queale, Administrative Technician
- Sylvie Monette, Administrative Technician
- Krystal Boutin, Office Agent Principal Class
- Sonia Lavallée, Office Agent Principal Class (email@example.com / 819 684-1313 ext. 1158)
The mandate of the Information Technology Department is to give support in all activities of the School Board when technology is involved. These responsibilities are split into two main domains:
Administrative systems – These represent a wide area of activities: human resources and payroll, finance, purchasing, student transportation, taxation, etc. It is comprised of the following responsibilities:
- oversight of all corporate and school servers;
- management of the Western Québec Telecommunication Network and Fibre Network;
- maintenance of all computer hardware and software.
- school board corporate systems;
- school decentralized systems: student registration, student evaluation, scheduling student fees management, library management systems, daycare activities, etc.;
- training activities.
- Pascal Proulx, Director of Technology (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Carrie-Anne Collins, Manager of Technology
- Gina-Lynn McKinnon, Data Processing Principal Class
- Paul Camus, Analyst IT & Architecture
- Lisa Diner, RECIT & Technology
- Judy Cadieux-Fortin, Administrative Support (email@example.com / 819-684-1313 ext. 1125)
- Joyce Skrovonek, Administrative Support
- Tracy Lee Olsen, Documentation Technician
Western Québec is the only English school board serving the Outaouais and Abitibi-Témiscamingue regions. Every day, over 6400 students are transported to 25 different schools and education centres across our vast territory of more than 90,000 square kilometers. That’s about twice the size of Nova Scotia! Over 2.5 million kilometres of roads are traversed by our ± 150 vehicles annually!
The Transportation Department has an outstanding safety record. Through the dedication and the concerted efforts of bus contractors, drivers, school communities and Transportation Department staff, a safe transportation environment is assured for all our students.
In order to preserve its outstanding safety record and maintain seamless transportation every day, WQSB follows a rigorous policy and relies on specific guidelines to ensure that decisions are made efficiently and professionally.
School closures and bus cancellations – In the event of school closures and bus cancellations as a result of inclement weather, information will be available to you in different manners. Including through push notifications on our mobile app, on the homepage of this website, on our Facebook page, on our Twitter feed, as well as on the air at local radio and television stations.
In the event of a Lock-In, Lock-Out or Lock-Down protocol – These events are extremely rare, but rest assured that the Western Québec School Board and all of its schools are well prepared. The safety of our students and staff is always our priority. Safety protocols are set and practised regularly with Sureté du Québec, Police de Gatineau and local fire brigades. Urgent messages to parents will be made available as soon as humanly possible by all means available, including through our mobile app, website, Facebook page, Twitter feed as well as local radio and television stations.
Boundary changes – Should any necessary boundary changes be put in effect by the Council of Commissioners, all the relevant information will be sent to affected families as soon as available. The Board understands that these changes may impact daily routines a great deal. These decisions are not taken lightly.
- Mike Dubeau, Director of Transportation & School Organization (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Manon Dusablon, Coordinator of Transportation & School Organization (email@example.com)
- Danielle Robert, Manager of Transportation & School Organization (firstname.lastname@example.org / 819 684-1313 ext. 1115)
- Lee-Ann Beaule, Admin Technician – Admissions (email@example.com / 819 684-1313 ext. 1128)
- Sabrina Crawford, Admin Technician – Admissions (firstname.lastname@example.org / 819 684-1313 ext. 1155)
- Lorraine Maillette, Admin Technician – Transport
- Sonia Lavallée, Office Agent (email@example.com / 819 684-1313 ext. 1158)
- Natacha Carpentier, Admin Technician – Transport (firstname.lastname@example.org / 819 684-1313 ext. 1131)