Dear Parents and Guardians of students transported by Autobus Lasalle and Bigras Transport,
The purpose of this letter is to update you on the strike action by the employees (bus drivers) of Autobus Lasalle and Bigras Transport. As you know the bus drivers have been on strike since May 1. The transportation companies and the union agreed to mediation and met this week, but unfortunately no progress has been made to date to resolve their contractual dispute. As a school board we continue to apply financial penalties for transportation services not rendered to our students. We realize that this prolonged situation is causing undo stress to many students and families. In an attempt to support our families, we would like to inform you that the Western Québec School Board will begin to financially reimburse families who have transported their children to and from school, as per our Transportation Policy (Policy G-1 Section 5.5 Transportation allowances).
The reimbursement start date is May 1 – the first day of the strike – and will continue until the end of the strike. The rate of reimbursement as outlined in our Transportation Policy is the following:
- 0 km to 13.9 km = $10.00 per day
- 14 km and over = $20.00 per day
- Additional 50% when travelling to two schools with different schedules
Impacted families should receive a form with instructions on how to apply for reimbursement through their school administration.
Affected schools and bus routes
- Greater Gatineau : Buses #007-024-025-026-081-083-096-113-114-115-117-119-122-128-130
- McDowell : Buses #048-049-051-052-053-055-057-058-059-060-091-099
- Onslow : Buses #045-053-056-099
- Queen Elizabeth : Buses #033-035-067-082
- Wakefield : Buses #002-003-004-006-027-028-029-031-032-064-069-075
- Hadley Jr. /Philemon Wright : Buses #002-003-004-007-024-026-069-096-119-120-126-127-128-130
- Pontiac : Buses #048-049-050-051-052-053-055-057-058-059-060-061-091-099
- St. Michael’s : Buses #006-028-029-067-075-082
- Dr. Wilbert Keon : All bus transportation provided by Centre de services scolaire des Hauts-Bois-de-l’Outaouais
- St. John’s : All bus transportation provided by Centre de services scolaire des Hauts-Bois-de-l’Outaouais
We will continue to update you on the situation as new information becomes available.
Schools will continue to implement extra security interventions for drop off and pick-up times. Please continue to plan alternative solutions for the transportation of your children to and from school.
Thank you for your understanding and collaboration.
Mike Dubeau, Director General
Western Québec School Board