In Quebec, students must be 5 years old on or before September 30, 2023, in order to attend kindergarten in the fall of 2023.
Under certain conditions, specified by the Quebec Ministry of Education, students may begin kindergarten or Cycle 1.1 early, through a process called “Derogation”. These conditions are contained in the Education Act:
- Students identified as “advanced” by the Ministry (students with advanced intellectual, social, emotional and psychomotor skills as deemed by a psychologist) may be granted a Early Admission Derogation. Information on this derogation is found on this page.
- Students identified as “handicapped” by the Ministry (as outlined in the Organization of Educational Services for At-Risk Students and Students with Handicaps, Social Maladjustments or Learning Difficulties) may be granted a Special Education Derogation. Information on this derogation is found on the Special Needs page.
On this page:
Early Admission Derogation Process
- If you have not already done so, please ensure your child has Bill 101 approval (certificate of Eligibility to English Education) and is eligible to attend Western Québec School Board (WQSB) schools. Find more information on this requirement on the Eligibility to English Education page.
- An Information Evening for Eardly Admission Derogation will be held for parents via Zoom on January 23, 2023, at 7PM. Please register with the Complementary Services team by email
- (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone (819-684-2336 #560006). We strongly advise any interested parents to attend.
Please note that this session does not address the Special Education Derogation Process. See the Special Needs page for information regarding this type of Derogation.
- When registering your child at the school in your catchment, please advise them that you are seeking early entry to kindergarten. You will be asked to complete and sign the “Parent Request for Early Admission Derogation”.
- An assessment completed by a psychologist is required, to confirm advanced skills. When choosing the psychologist to assess your child, please ensure that the professional is a Child Psychologist, registered in Quebec, who tests for Early Entry into Kindergarten/Derogation. A list of area psychologists is available from L’Ordre des psychologues du Québec (1-800-363-2644 or ordrepsy.qc.ca).
- The completed request form along with a copy of the psychological report should be submitted directly to the Complementary Services department of the Western Québec School Board (email@example.com). Deadline for receipt of request and report is May 12, 2023.
- All Early Admission requests are reviewed by a Committee. Final decisions will be made during the week of May 29, 2023. Questions should be addressed to Lisa Falasconi, director of Complementary Services, using the contact information below.
Contact the Complementary Services Department
|Helen Carrière, Assistant to the Director of Complementary Services|
Call 819-684-2336 or send an email using the form on the Contact page and selecting Complementary Services & Special Education.
|Lisa Falasconi, Director of Complementary Services|
Call 819-684-2336 or send an email using the form on the Contact a member of Senior Administration page.
|Complementary Services Department|
Western Québec School Board
15 Katimavik, Gatineau (QC) J9J 0E9