|UPDATE / NEW: An additional round for assessment reviews has been added, to accommodate those families who have not been able to complete testing requirements within the original timeframe. This will be a final and firm second round deadline, to allow for review, decisions and completion of registrations for 2020-21. See below for added new deadline!|
- If you have not already done so, please ensure your child has Bill 101 (certificate of Eligibility to English Education) approval and is eligible to attend Western
Québec School Board (WQSB) Schools. Please contact Sabrina Crawford: firstname.lastname@example.org 819-684-
1313 x 540008.
- When registering your child at the school in your catchment, please advise them that you are seeking early entry to kindergarten. You will be asked to complete and sign the “Parent Request for Early Admission Derogation”.
- An assessment completed by a psychologist is required, to confirm advanced skills. When choosing the psychologist to assess your child, please ensure that the professional is a Child Psychologist, registered in Quebec, who tests for Early Entry into Kindergarten/Derogation. A list of area psychologists is available from L’Ordre des psychologues du Québec: 1-800-363-2644 or ordrepsy.qc.ca
- The completed request form along with a copy of the psychological report should be submitted directly to the
Western Quebec School Board: Attention Wendy Routliffe (email@example.com)
- FIRST ROUND: Deadline for receipt of request & report: May 15, 2020
- SECOND ROUND (ADDITIONAL round due to COVID-19 pandemic): Deadline for receipt of request & report: August 14, 2020
- All Early Admission requests are reviewed by a Committee. Final decisions will be made during the weeks of May 25, 2020 and August 17, 2020. Questions should be addressed to Lisa Falasconi: firstname.lastname@example.org
819-684-1313 x 560001.
- All enquiries regarding Special Education Derogations should be directed to Lisa Falasconi at
In Quebec, students must be 5 years old on or before September 30, 2020 in order to attend kindergarten in the fall of 2020.
Under certain conditions, specified by the Quebec Ministry of Education (M.E.E.S.), students may begin kindergarten or
Cycle 1.1 early, through a process called “Derogation”. These conditions are contained in the Education Act:
- Students identified as “advanced” by the M.E.E.S. (students with advanced intellectual, social, emotional and psychomotor skills as deemed by a psychologist) may be granted Early Admission Derogation.
- Students identified as “handicapped” by the M.E.E.S. (as outlined in the Organization of Educational Services for At-Risk Students and Students with Handicaps, Social Maladjustments or Learning Difficulties) may be granted Special Education Derogation.