Often referred to as “derogation”.
- In Quebec, students must be 5 years old on or before September 30, 2021, in order to attend kindergarten in the fall of 2021.
- Under certain conditions, specified by the Quebec Ministry of Education (MEES), students may begin kindergarten or Cycle 1.1 early, through a process called “Derogation”. These conditions are contained in the Education Act:
- – Students identified as “advanced” by the MEES (students with advanced intellectual, social, emotional and psychomotor skills as deemed by a psychologist) may be granted Early Admission Derogation. Continue reading below.
- – Students identified as “handicapped” by the MEES (as outlined in the Organization of Educational Services for At-Risk Students and Students with Handicaps, Social Maladjustments or Learning Difficulties) may be granted Special Education Derogation. Skip the following section and continue reading below.
Early Admission Derogation Process
- If you have not already done so, please ensure your child has Bill 101 approval (certificate of Eligibility to English Education) and is eligible to attend Western Québec School Board (WQSB) Schools. Please contact Sabrina Crawford (email@example.com – 819-684-
1313 ext. 540008).
- An Information Evening for Eardly Admission Derogation will be held for parents via Zoom on January 25, 2021, at 7PM. Please register with Wendy Routliffe (firstname.lastname@example.org), 819-684-1313 ext. 560006. We strongly advise any interested parents to attend. Please note: This session does not address the Special Education Derogation Process. See below for information regarding this type of Derogation.
- When registering your child at the school in your catchment, please advise them that you are seeking early entry to kindergarten. You will be asked to complete and sign the “Parent Request for Early Admission Derogation”.
- An assessment completed by a psychologist is required, to confirm advanced skills. When choosing the psychologist to assess your child, please ensure that the professional is a Child Psychologist, registered in Quebec, who tests for Early Entry into Kindergarten/Derogation. A list of area psychologists is available from L’Ordre des psychologues du Québec (1-800-363-2644 or ordrepsy.qc.ca).
- The completed request form along with a copy of the psychological report should be submitted directly to the
Western Québec School Board: Attention Wendy Routliffe (email@example.com). Deadline for receipt of request & report: May 14, 2021.
- All Early Admission requests are reviewed by a Committee. Final decisions will be made during the week of May 24, 2021. Questions should be addressed to Lisa Falasconi (firstname.lastname@example.org
– 819-684-1313 ext. 560001).
Special Education Derogation Process – Information for Parents
If you feel your child may meet criteria for a Special Education Derogation, please contact Lisa Falasconi (email@example.com – 819-684-1313 ext. 560001).