Often referred to as “derogation”.
- In Quebec, students must be 5 years old on or before September 30, 2020 in order to attend kindergarten in the fall of 2020
- Under certain conditions, specified by the ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur, students may begin kindergarten or Cycle 1.1 early, through a process called “Derogation”. These conditions are contained in the Education Act:
- – Students identified as “advanced” by the MEES (students with advanced intellectual, social, emotional and psychomotor skills as deemed by a psychologist) may be granted Early Admission Derogation
- – Students identified as “handicapped” by the MEES (as outlined in the Organization of Educational Services for At-Risk Students and Students with Handicaps, Social Maladjustments or Learning Difficulties) may be granted Special Education Derogation.
Early Admission Derogation Process
- First, parents should ensure their child has a certificate of eligibility to English education.
- An Information Evening will be held for parents on 27 January 2020 at 7PM at Western Québec’s offices (15 rue Katimavik in Gatineau). Parents wishing to register for this session should contact Wendy Routliffe (819-684-2336 #560006 / firstname.lastname@example.org). We strongly advise any interested parents to attend. Please note: this is an information session for parents only; your child does not need to attend. This
- When registering their child at a boundary school, parents should advise that they are seeking early entry to kindergarten. Residents of the Aylmer sector of Gatineau can instead contact Sabrina Crawford directly (819 684-1313 #540008 / email@example.com). Parents will be asked to complete and sign the Parent Letter of Request for Early Admission to School (Derogation).
- An assessment completed by a psychologist is required to confirm advanced skills. When choosing the psychologist to assess their child, parents should ensure that the professional:
- Is a child psychologist;
- Is registered in the province of Québec;
- Tests for derogations for Early Entry into Kindergarten.
- The completed application form along with a copy of the psychological report should be submitted to either the school in your catchment, or directly to the Western Québec School Board (c/o Wendy Routliffe). The deadline for this step is 15 May 2020.
- All Early Admission requests are reviewed by a Committee. Final decisions will be made during the week of 25 May 2020. Questions should be addressed to Lisa Falasconi (firstname.lastname@example.org / 819-684-1313 ext. 560001).
Special Education Derogation Process (Information for Parents)
If you feel your child may meet criteria for a Special Education Derogation, please contact Lisa Falasconi (email@example.com / 819-684-1313 ext. 560001).